Wednesday 20 February 2013

Three verbs

We often have ABC4kids on in our house.  It's called the babysitter.  When there are things you need to do and you want the kids immobilised for a bit, you just put it on and they usually stay there for a while.  Very useful.
There is a program that I have not so much watched, but been aware of in the background, called Octonauts.  I like it because it is a mission/adventure style program and it has a theme song with a catchy tune, like James Bond themesongs.  It also has three verbs pronounced prominently in the opening:  Explore, Rescue, Protect!
Apparently three verb descriptions are very popular with marketing worldwide.  From products, to businesses, and even churches, three verb catchlines are "IT".
I was awake lying in bed the other morning thinking about the Octonauts, "Explore, Rescue, Protect", and I thought, I wonder what my three verbs would be?  This is what I came up with, and the alliteration was completely unintended.

                                                         Explore, Encourage, Enjoy!

Explore:  I love exploring.  I love walking up creeks to see where they go.  I love going up mountains and seeing a great view.  Sometimes I like walking through cities and seeing what you can find, like down the arcades in Melbourne.  But mostly I prefer exploring nature.  I like exploring the reef, with  it's mountains, valleys and hidden caves all in miniature as I float above it and catch glimpses of iridescent fish. 
Not only do I love exploring nature, but I also love exploring ideas.  I find hearing about ideas and thinking about them life enriching.  My car radio is always tuned to Radio National, which gives me daily fodder for pondering, and I am about to start anthropology at uni, which will no doubt stretch me.

Encourage:  I really like encouraging people.  I am a terrible liar and I find it practically impossible to give un-genuine praise.  No.  I try to think of activites as well as words, that will be individually encouraging.  And I think I'm not bad at it.  It makes me feel quite joyful when I can see I've succeeded.

Enjoy!:  I'm not actually a hedonist.  And believe it or not, this is something that is supposed to be an integral part of being a christian.  The catechism's first question and answer is:

       What is the chief end of man?  The chief end of man is to know God and enjoy him forever.

Fancy that!  I find it fascinating and wonderful that the whole point of life is to know God and enjoy him forever!  The bible talks about God's characteristics being present in nature - the endless expanse of stars, the strength and immovability of mountains, the everlasting rhythm of the ocean, the power of the storm, and the amazingly intricate cellular structure of living things.  And God has intended us to enjoy these things, and know and enjoy Him, through these things.
I think that is wonderful. 

 I would love to hear what other people's three verbs might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment