Wednesday 6 February 2013

Coming of age...again

Phrase dictionary's definition: reaching maturity, respectability or prominence.

I've decided that 'coming of age' is something we keep on doing all our lives.  It's a nice subjective phrase.  Who's to say when we've reached maturity?  Perhaps we do it every decade or so.

 The idea that we come of age throughout our lives excites me.  Coming of age implies new challenges, roles, responsibilities and rewards.  Remember how having to pay the rent also meant having the freedom to do what you wanted, when you wanted?  And having to go to work on time also meant being able to decide how you would spend your money? 
I am enjoying having to get a child ready for school, because it means I actually have a few hours to myself during the day when the toddler sleeps. 
I am looking forward to having assignment deadlines, because it will give me a feeling of satisfaction when it is done.  I am looking forward to the challenge of juggling my household and study because it will broaden my mind and give me a better understanding of the world.

I wonder what new roles and challenges I will be facing in ten years time?  The possibilities abound.
Am I looking forward to 'coming of age' throughout my life?  Absolutely!

BRING IT ON!


I managed to bang my little finger on the floor this morning and it has swollen up.  Obviously haven't reached maturity when it comes to spacial awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment