Sunday 24 February 2013

Shoes

Note to self:  When you go on a date, don't wear shoes that you never wear. 

Why is it that women in our society are supposed to wear uncomfortable shoes in order to feel that they look good?  In fact we are supposed to have some sort of brain defect when it comes to shoes, that compels us to impulsively buy things that cost a lot of money, will make our backs hurt and take the skin off our heels. 
I went out with my husband last night on one of our two annual dates.  (We don't plan to only have two dates a year, but with little kids we don't have much opportunity or inclination for more.)  I wore a pair of shoes that I haven't worn in about a year.  I would like to qualify this by saying that I bought them with comfort in mind.  They are about the most comfortable looking pair of one-inch heels I could find.  Still, after we had walked down the pier to the restaurant, had dinner and walked back along the waterfront for a bit, they had done their worst and I couldn't wait to take them off in the car.  They also had an annoyingly loud clip clop that made me wish I'd worn my comfortable rubber flats, which are quite pretty, but make no noise and give me no blisters. 
It was funny seeing some of the other pairs of shoes struggling along the pier boardwalk.  It would seem that for those under 30, to look good in the evenings you have to be wearing at least a two inch heel, and a short skirt; an interesting effect when combined with an uneven surface like a boardwalk, and a few drinks.
Obviously I am reaching the ages of discretion.  I have concluded that really, nobody could care less about what shoes I wear in public, especially when it is semi-dark and mostly they are under a table.  It's really not going to make much difference if I am one inch taller, and the type of figure I cut in public is probably going to be more affected by my attitude than my shoes, (which are not, despite what advertising would tell us, an indication of my attitude.)
Next time I go out, my shoes will not be making an impact on my evening, my bank balance or my heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment