Tuesday 29 January 2013

Hurray! The holidays are over!

I woke up this morning at about 5.30 am to the sound of my daughter clomping down the stairs, fully kitted out in her school uniform and shoes.  When I got up, at the far more decent hour of 7,  I found a fully prepared lunch box on the bench.  She had written her name on it in black texta, her full name, including her age.  Inside it was a piece of vegemite bread, with one crust cut off, a container of jatz biscuits, and a bunch of grapes.  She had even brushed all the knots out of her hair, including the usually elusive back ones.  I was very impressed.  After all, she is not even 5 and a half.

I think it is quite convenient that one of us is so organised.  Our family went to a barbecue for lunch yesterday and there were several other mothers there.  Conversation flowed unendingly about school preparations; what went into lunchboxes, how elaborately they had covered their children's school books, or not.  My contribution mainly consisted of, "I suppose I had better buy some bread on our way home," and, "What time does school start?"  Sometimes I feel as if I missed out on some mothering gene.  Fortunately, my daughter seems to make up for it.

 In spite of my daughter's pre-dawn preparedness, we were still 5 minutes later leaving home than I had planned.  Toddlers always know the best moments to fill their nappies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment