Monday 18 March 2013

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Reading!

It is 7.38pm.  My son is in bed with his bottle, the dishes are done, my husband has gone to a bible study, and my daughter.... is lying in bed reading a book to herself!  Hurray hurray!  This is what I've been working towards for the last three years. 
              Books are wonderful things.  They can take you to another world, just by opening the cover!  Reading was a great adventure when I was a child.  It still is, but especially when I was a child.  I loved discovering hidden treasure and catching crooks with the Famous Five.  I loved being swept up in the tragedies and triumphs of Anne of Green Gables.  I loved the excitement and the characters in Enid Blyton's circus and school stories.  I loved the world of colonial Australia conjured up in the Billabong series, and the particular wit and challenges of Sybilla in My Brilliant Career. 
              I am so glad my daughter can read to herself now.  Although, reading is probably the thing I enjoy doing most with my children.  Obviously she has been learning to read for some time now, but tonight was the first night I saw her pick up a book with 3 or 4 sentences on each page and read it undaunted.  I am proud of her.  She is only 5 and a half!

No comments:

Post a Comment